In brief, the co-op works like this:
- Sign-up to be a member and take on a ‘hands-on’ or administrative role (see below)
- Pay for your weekly box of fresh produce monthly -and in advance
- The produce is ordered and delivered to Spring Creek Community House in Torquay on Thursday mornings at 8.30-9am
- Members are rostered once a month as a packer and meet to sort the produce into individual boxes
- Each packer takes their own box and a set number of others and delivers them to members on their way home.
- Members get a yummy box of organic fruit and vegies by midday every Thursday
Co-op roles you can choose from
Farm Gate Foods is a co-operative. This means it is not a commercial enterprise and every member must contribute to its running. Members can choose from a number of different roles that make it work.
There are hands-on roles; packers and packing supervisors. It is important that if you accept a packing/delivering role you are available on Thursday mornings. This is usually only once per month and if you are unavailable for your rostered shift you will need to organise a swap with another member. Occasionally you may be rostered a second Thursday to cover a gap. The packing days are every Thursday at Spring Creek Community House at 9.30am. Packing is a great opportunity to get together with others while doing the important job of sorting, weighing and packing the boxes. It generally takes an hour or two to complete the packing and delivery. Toddlers and babes are welcome. Each rostered packer then takes a set number of boxes, usually 4-5, to deliver on their way home.
There are also administrative roles; a co-ordinator role, members orders, treasurer for accounts and members payments, and a secretarial role. People in administrative roles need to have a good working knowledge of computer applications such as excel, and willingness to learn mailchimp and wordpress. If you are not available on Thursdays, these are important jobs that can be done at home. It is the aim that most of the administrative roles should take approximately 2 hours per month, except for the co-ordinator role which is considerably more and is compensated with a large box each week. At present these positions are filled.
Download for more detailed information.